Author Topic: HUDSON RIVER SMELTS AND TOMMY COD  (Read 818 times)

Offline Blackhawk

HUDSON RIVER SMELTS AND TOMMY COD
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »

anyone have anything to report on the subject fish currently or from the past?

i've caught rainbow smelts in hudson river feeder streams and through the ice on lake champlain.

and knew folks who caught small tommy cod in the river or feeder streams during their spawing runs.

"Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you."

ASPORTSMAN

Re: HUDSON RIVER SMELTS AND TOMMY COD
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Blackhawk;

I have not personally caught Smelt in the Hudson or Tribs., I have lived most of my life in NYC, been living in Hudson Valley only since 1990. But have heard from Older guys than me (I'm 65)  that fished back in the 30's & 40's with my Dad. And some old timers from this area also said the same. They told me that the Smelt used to be so numerous that they were able to stand on the shore of the tributaries, and used to use Dip nets, long handled Large nets, and scoop up the Smelt.  But as you know in the Hudson, there hasn't been a Smelt population in many years now!!  I know; some Will say the Striped Bass caused the demise of the Smelt, Shad and Herring,,,,,I say Bull feathers!! The Bass, and these fish Coexisted for Centuries!!
             As for the Tomcod AKA: Tommy Cod, Tommie's.  I personally used to catch Tommy Cod, in good numbers, back in the 50's, 60's each Spring an Fall, they were fun to catch on light tackle, and they were Good Eatting. My Dad an I used to start fishing for them as soon as ICE in the River was gone in Spring. And we'd fish on nicer days in Dec. an Jan. for them also. This was off the shore line of the Bronx, on the Hudson. When I worked on the Railroad (Conrail Metro-North) I had worked in Croton/Harmon yard. Well, a few of the guys I worked with, used to tell me how they belonged to a Club from the Cold Spring VFD called the "River Rats"! Anyway they told me how they hung out in a Boat Club there, and during the Cold weather season, they would put out homemade nets off the Docks, they were like Large Killie Nets, an they'd catch bunches of Tommy Cods, and have a Fish Fry each weekend while the water was still un Frozen. That was in the 80's.....haven't heard or tried to catch them in years.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
    • blog.hudsonvalleysportsman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
Very interesting information here jolly thanks for sharing..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Online grnnesider

• Posted
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
the tribs used to be full of smelt in poughkeepsie area i think the strippers destroyed them when they were protected from commercial harvest and their numbers exploded as for cod i have gone to the tribs many times to see them but never have bad timing i guess

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »

thanks for the replies,
i've caught smelt using a dip net in the fishkill creek many years ago.
and friends who caught small tommy cod years ago.

i just received a report from a friend who saw a bunch of gulls diving at the mouth of a trib into the hudson last week.
there was also feeding activity going on under the surface.
friend couldn't tell what the gulls were feeding on though.
it seemed to be a school of small fish.
a report said glass eels just started showing further south.
"Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you."

Offline Bruce T

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
From 1977 though 1980 I worked for Boyce Thompson Institute and the Oceanic Society studying Sturgeon on the river.  We trawled the river especially in Haverstraw bay in March and April for Juvenal Atlantic Sturgeon, (caught and tagged 6000 + Atlantic Sturgeon).  We would  catch smelt whenever we had a fine mesh liner in the trawl.  Tommy Cod were always caught as well.
Texas Instruments used to run Box traps from  Croton Point to Cold Spring every winter for tommy cod.  They were caught by the thousands at times.  I have also caught them fishing for Stirpers in the early spring with blood/sand worms.  I would guess you could catch tommy cod right now off of Croton Point or Verplanck's Steamboat Dock or the dock near Charles Point using clams sand/blood worms.  I would love to find out if there are any out there, they are awesome to eat.

BruceT

ASPORTSMAN

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Bruce T;

Yeah, those Tommy Cod may have been small, a "BIG" Tommy was 14-16 inches, most we caught were 10-12 inch size, and yeah,they were good eatting!! Before there was a McDonalds in NY, my Dad made these fish into Fish McNuggets in a Cast Iron Skillet Pan, cooked in Crisco Lard, "used Crisco" made them fish in his "Special" batter, Golden Crisp.....Mmmmm, Good!! Now you have me wondering if I went down the river, could I catch me some Tommy's, I would have to go to City Island probably, to get some worms, Back when, with my Dad, we used 2/0-3/0 hooks (just in case a Bass was around) and we'd use Sandworms, an Bloods. and Chicken Livers!! Later, in Spring, when we'd Target Striped Bass. We would be pestered, with Tom Cod stealing our Worms, and when we caught them we'd throw them back. But, my brother an  myself would take a few Tommy's for the Sea Gulls, We'd hit their head on a rock, then Toss them to the Sea Gulls. Once we had a Gull, just sit on the Water, right in front of where we were fishing, the whole time we were there!! We just Fed him, he ate so many Tommy's that he couldn't Fly!! He just paddled and floated away.....lol

* Your support appreciated

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal