Author Topic: Hudson Valley Duck Hunting?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline hvhunter85

Hudson Valley Duck Hunting?
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »
I normally hunt out of Stewart Forest but i'm looking to find a few new areas to hunt, can you hunt the Wallkill river, Esopus Creek or Moodna Creek? If you can where can you drop a kayak in? And how about the hudson river I have a lot of buddies who run tug boats up and down the river who see duck blinds all around but where can you drop in, there's a lot sanctuaries and a lot of evil tree huggers (who do nothing for wildlife mgmt) what are the do's and donts for hunting these areas?

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
    • blog.hudsonvalleysportsman.com
Re: Hudson Valley Duck Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:12:26 AM »
Welcome to HVS hv... Good conversation taken place here about duck hunting on the hudson.

http://www.hudsonvalleysportsman.com/index.php/topic,7830.0.html

Offline grnnesider

• Posted
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »
ive got decoys i would like to sell i you would be interested let me know

Offline hvhunter85

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »
Thanks for forwarding me that thread. I'm pretty set on decoys but thanks.

Offline live4huntinggeese

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
Hey i like decoys what are you looking to get rid of because i can make space.

Online buckwrapper

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Most of the duck blinds your buddy see's I would think are up north in the Tivoli area and Hudson. Hunted there once and it was a war zone not to mention the locals drill you about who you are and where your from. It may have changed from what it used to be but I'm not sure.

Offline BULLDOG5485

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
I have hunted in the saugerties/kingston/ tivioli are for the past three years it is a war zone eveywhere lol..... As far as the locals go i have not been hammered but i have as much right to be there as them and i do not have a problem saying it if questioned.... Half of the blinds up there are all abandoned not upkept from what i have seen during goose season
Kevin

Offline hvhunter85

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
Cool where do you put it at Tivoli or on the Saugerties side? Yea I don't have a problem I people trying to grill me its not like i'm goin to set up 5 feet behind them. What kind of boat do you use?

Offline live4huntinggeese

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
I've grown up hunting ducks in the saugerties area and have done a lot up near the cement plants.  The guys on the upper and lower flats in saugerties have been handed down the spots for generations and they tend to be a little rough.  As for the rest of us who don't build blinds like those we love more people in the coves and along shore to push the birds around.  If you wanted to hunt tivoli we usually put in at the town launch in glasco.  It's not to bad of a ride.   

Offline hvhunter85

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
All this info is great! I've been emailing town halls, DEC and state parks (I'm working off shore right now) and its hard to get a clear answer on any websites. The Glasgo launch is off Delaware/Albany St?

Offline swamplover11

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
so grn whats the deal with the deeks?
 i never heard anything good about Tivoli, sky busting maniacs that are not afraid to let you know they are there.
Screw you guys,I'm goin home! (Cartmen)

Offline Mac

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
My experience with Tivoi is that if you can hunt during the week, you"ll have the whole bay area to yourself.  Also, once regular deer season starts, it gets pretty quiet up there!  Good luck this season!

Offline blklabsrule

• Duck Duck Goose
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
The Hudson can be great or bust. There are launches in Catskill, Germantown, Malden, Glasco, Kingston & Newburgh. Dealing with the tides & potential rough weather can be challenging. If you hunt in areas where there are others chances are your will catch some sh*t. Just remember as long as you set up a reaonable distance from them and don't skybust you have as much right to be there as they do.

Offline Take Em

• HVS STAFF.
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
All good info here guys. Definitely stay away from Tivoli on the opening weekends. Also, don't try and cross the river in a kayak. The river can turn on a dime and you'll be in a world of hurt out there by yourself. There's a public launch on the Tivoli Bay side. I highly suggest using this one if you are considering hunting out of a kayak.

Off Kidd Lane, off Route 9G, 3/4 mile south of Village of Tivoli (No motors allowed, steep hill down to water) Be careful with your shots because the birds get lost quickly when they go down in the reeds.

Good luck!

Offline hvhunter85

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
Middle of the week is perfect for me I work a 21 day rotation where I'm off for 21 days. Is it easy to get lost in Tivoli?

* Your support appreciated

HudsonValleySportsman.com

HudsonValleySportsman.com

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal