Author Topic: humminbird fishinbuddy fishfinder(updated fishfinders in general)  (Read 1249 times)

Offline nybowhunter

• Super Hero Member
anyone ever use one of these? likes or dislikes? im looking at getting a portable one for my boat but dont want to break the bank

Offline Dinsdale

• HVS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
Re: humminbird fishinbuddy fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
I have an older one.

Does OK on depth and reading bottom contour. It's so-so on picking up fish at times, but works. Battery life for 3-C's is pretty good.

I bought it to take on a few fly-in trips in Canada and it has served the purpose, especially on unknown waters with little in the way of maps availible. Just when I think its just extra gear, it seems to account for a big fish and than I decide its worth taking along.

I have never used it much local, most of the fishing I mess with is in just shallow ponds, and larger bodies I'm fishing from shore on occasion.
if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain,if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

Offline hunterjeff

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »
I also have a older model very impressed with its performance

Offline CatskillBob

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
I strongly recommend the Lowrance Portable. They retail for around 200 and work great. I use it everyday on the Reservoir and have never once had a problem! Its 5 years old now! Picks up bottom and reads fish well
If I were a trout, I should ascend every stream till I found the Rondout. It is the ideal brook. - John Burroughs

Offline kyleNY

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
i have had one for about five years. forgot the model there are three different. low grade middle and high, price and features. i got the middle grade one. i use it alot, never go out on the reservoirs without it. its caught me tons of fish, nice to see what depth there at saves alota guessing. mine takes 6 aa batteries, i get about eight hours outta six, thats the only thing i dont like about it, be alot nice with a rechargeable. iv used it in all weather conditions too never failed, super hot, freezing cold and down pour rain.

Offline nybowhunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
thanks guys, i think im gonna pick one up

Offline nybowhunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: humminbird fishinbuddy fishfinder(updated fishfinders in general)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
so i finally picked up a fish finder, didnt get a fishin buddy, got a regular style humminbird pirahna max portable. anyone have any experience with these or anyothers for that matter, i used it today for the first time on the roundout and i just feel like its not working right, it read depth and temp ok, but i literally marked maybe 3 fish in 10 hours, that doesnt sound right, i understand not catching any, but i know i had to have rowed over some! does this sound right, or you think something could be wrong, any info on fish finders appreciated

Offline dale328

• dale328
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:26:43 AM »
i have a piranna max 160 dualbeam portable i to dont mark a lot of fish when i am rowing out but when i am anchored i mark fish. i know it works cause i was marking fish one day at 50 ft and i dropped a line to that depth and within a few min. i was catching fish,\.. it is odd though how you dont see very many while you are rowing.

Offline nybowhunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
someone else just told me the same thing, that just doesnt seem right to me, its not like your rowing very fast, it should have no problems picking up fish

Offline paulangling

• HVS Supporter
    • Paul's Angling Journal
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
Having not used a depth finder myself I'm probably wrong, but there might be a better place to locate the sensor? It seems possible that paddling could interfere with it. Would the regular swaying of a rowboat also affect the readings since it's pointing the sensor in random directions?
Paul's Angling Journal
http://paulangling.wordpress.com/

Offline paulangling

• HVS Supporter
    • Paul's Angling Journal
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »
Having recently researched, purchased and used a sonar I can say a little more about this. Some of the reviews of the Hbird fishinbuddy said that with movement the finder can rock around in the ring and give noisy results. I guess the older Bottomline models didn't do this, and it's the main reason I went with a suction cup transducer instead.

I notice my suction cup model misses alot at even the top speed of my trolling motor, and gets much better the slower I go. It's also worse in waves, or even when I move my fat butt around. With small watercraft slow and steady is the ticket apparently.

No doubt the high-end electronics on larger boats will do better, but they're not having the kind of fun we are :)
Paul's Angling Journal
http://paulangling.wordpress.com/

Offline brushwolf

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »
maybe it doesnt have the ability to update fast enough to show fish while your rowing. Also cone degree and depth of water may have something to do with that. just guessing though  <º))))><

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal