Author Topic: Fishing Spots  (Read 1582 times)

Offline gardnaaa

Fishing Spots
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
where are your favorite fishing spots in ulster county? just curious, and new to the hobby and only know a few places.

Offline paulangling

• HVS Supporter
    • Paul's Angling Journal
Re: Fishing Spots
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
I'm not sure there will be many replies as to "favorite" fishing spots, but we're surrounded by so much good water. Really the best ways are hooking up with someone and doing your own legwork. As with most people, my favorite places and techniques are hard-earned.

Here's some info to start you off:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html - the Places To Fish section has some great info, lots to choose from depending on how you approach it. Be sure to order the map that is mentioned ... it's free and has a dizzying amount of information.

If you really want to get a jump on skills and info, hire a guide if possible. That can dramatically change a beginners learning curve and it's always a great time. Sometimes there are groups you can go with (often they'll look for people to fill a group out on this forum, and elsewhere), which can help lower the cost and increase the fun!

Tight Lines!

Paul's Angling Journal
http://paulangling.wordpress.com/

Offline deanhuntsny

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »
Also, what are you fishing for? Boat or shore? Do you fish live bait or lures? If you say bass and catch and release I can help you out.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
    • blog.hudsonvalleysportsman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
I like fishing any of the NYC reservoirs and the larger creeks and streams like the Roundout creek in the Rosendale and High falls area. Lots of action in the Rondout with many different types of fish you could target. Good luck Sunday if u get out.

Offline gardnaaa

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
I fish mostly bass, and i always catch and release. i mainly fish binnewater lake and the ashokan, but ive been trying to find more spots to catch some lunkers. i fish mostly from shore, but we do have a john boat that i can use, its just a pain to transport it. i use mostly soft plastics also, i use the lakefork ring fry. you guys should check them out, they are amazing

Offline gardnaaa

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:11 PM »
i also think im going to try to fish the rondout creek when they fill it with stockies. hopefully ill get something

Offline Buck Shot 0933

• Posted
  • Super Hero Member
  • Gotta love spring!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:37 AM »
I don't usually share spots but google earth is a very good tool to find and learn different bodies of water. Pick a river or stream and follow it the satellite imaging tells you where there are runs or frog water. I use it on my phone while fishing. Also helps with access to spots. Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now there's a chance that if I hurry
I could beg her to stay
But that water's right
And the weather's perfect
No tellin' what I might catch today
        -Brad Paisley

Offline gardnaaa

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
thanks everyone i really appreciate the help!

Offline CatskillBob

• Posted
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
Try Yankeetown pond on Whittenberg Road near willow. Good for bass from shore
If I were a trout, I should ascend every stream till I found the Rondout. It is the ideal brook. - John Burroughs

Online UCBowhunter

• Redneck Cupid
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
Chodicee lake off 299 is good need a boat.Wallkill River near Hamlet of wallkill also the strech near Ulster County fair is also good. Sturgeon pool can be good also.Chodikee I heard was suppose to be stocked with walleye.Smallies in the Wallkill has great success with shallow diving crankbaits and 3" tube baits.Best ones have green and orange flake for tube baits ..firetiger for crankbaits.If I think of any other I will tell ya.
Nobody ever wants to restrict medication when someone that goes off his medication and harms or murders someone. Even though these medications do more harm than good with there long lists of side effects.

Offline gardnaaa

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
thanks guys, looks like i will have alot of places to fish this year, any more spots?

Offline paulangling

• HVS Supporter
    • Paul's Angling Journal
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
Put Buck Shot 0933's and my advice together to get:

http://g.co/maps/b4y5e
     and
http://g.co/maps/s4tuq

The Wallkill just upstream of New Paltz has treated me well in bass lately, and I hear the stretch of the Rondout between Accord and High Falls is quite good as well.
Paul's Angling Journal
http://paulangling.wordpress.com/

* Your support appreciated

HudsonValleySportsman.com

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal