Author Topic: Re: Could be time!  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Gino_Alessandro

Re: Could be time!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 11:10:54 PM »
Ready for Round 2 tomorrow!  ;D

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 09:06:40 PM »
One keeper black crappie, one short, and one keeper for my friend at Silver in Rhinebeck. Went to Upton after and got a nice yellow perch. 7-8" everywhere. Very slow but no skunk.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »
This works great and you donít have to worry about bones.

This recipe is from "The Hunting & Fishing Library". I've used it for many years and makes delicious pickled pickerel

All types of freshwater gamefish can be pickled. Remove the heavy rib bones. If you wish, remove the skin and lateral line. Small bones can be retained because they soften in the pickling process and can be easily eaten. Cut fish into bite sized chunks, 1 to 1 1/2 inches.

Use high-quality soft water in the brine solution. Use bottled water if necessary. The brine calls for pickling salt, not table salt. Use a good quality, distilled white vinegar, with at least 5% acetic acid content. Vinegar slows spoilage. White onion and pimiento slices in the jars add flavor and color.

Brine Solution:

1 cup pickling salt
6 cups water
1 to 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks

In a glass container, combine pickling salt and water, stirring until salt dissolves. Add fish

Pickling Solution

1/2 cup granulated or packed brown sugar
1/2 cup distilled water
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling spices
2 to 4 cloves
Mix all ingredients; heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool to 160 to 180 degrees before pouring over fish.

How to pickle fish:

Place fish in the brine solution. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours. Remove; rinse in cold water and place in a glass container / bowl.

Cover fish with white vinegar and refrigerate 12 hours. Discard the vinegar, rinse the fish with cold water, and put into pickling jars.

Pour the cooled pickling solution into the jars, covering the fish completely. Seal the jars. Refrigerate for 5 days before eating.

Stir fish or shake jars once during the five days for good saturation. Store the unstrained fish in the refrigerator no longer than 4 weeks.

Serve the pickled fish as an appetizer, snack or salad. Drain the chunks and blot thoroughly with paper towels to remove excess liquid. Keep fish covered and refrigerated in the pickling solution until serving time.

Thanks for the recipe. Do you filet it like any other fish then do this recipe?

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Got four gills , almost five but got caught in the ducer and fell back in, a largemouth and my dad got a largemouth. Heat today beat down most of the snow and the walking conditions were excellent.

Offline seadog8

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
When you've had bad fishing for awhile, there is always the Moose Club pond to make you feel like you are a pro fisherman.
We fished the pond on Sunday morning and caught about 30 fish.  A few nice perch , bluegills and a few small crappies.
Great place for a lot of action for the kids.

Online greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
Great stuff

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Awesome!

Got out a bit this morning. Didn't mark many fish.
Also 1 dink yellow.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
Ice seems to be holding up fine even though it was 62 today. Still 7-7.5 up here in Ulster Co. 3 largemouth jigging and one gill for my dad.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
One dink yellow tonight, marked many but not hitting. Last night solidified everything that melted last few days. Friday night should solidify whatever melts next few days.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »
Went to Chodikee this morning. Getting on was fine and the main sheet is a solid 10". Two small gills. Didn't mark many and the ones I did weren't really interested in anything.

Offline DaveW

• HVS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:53 AM »
Thanks for the updates Gino
Spud your way and stay on top.

Offline seadog8

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
took a drive to West Branch and Glenida on Wednesday.  Spots of open water in the middle of Glenida and near the causeway at Nicolls road on WB.
I tested the shoreline near the parking lot on Rt 52 of Glenida and it was soft.  Be careful if you go.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
Friday + Saturday. Slow, marked tons and threw many different jigs at em but not much action. +3 dink yellows today.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
Lots of lookers but no takers for me this evening. My girlfriend got her first fish of the year at least, a tiny yellow perch lol.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »
 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal