Author Topic: Beginner Ice Fishing for panfish  (Read 902 times)

Offline LouieM

Beginner Ice Fishing for panfish
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
In the past I usually ice fish once or so a year and generally just have luck with tip-ups catching pickeral.  This year I want to target panfish because I now realize how good eating they are.  With that said, can anybody recommend any tips or tricks?  I plan to jig of course.  Should I get a flasher?  I will be mainly fishing Yankee Lake which is loaded with panfish and not too many people target panfish there (from what i've seen) 

Online greensider

• Super Hero Member
Re: Beginner Ice Fishing for panfish
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Get some small number 2 sweedish pimples put a wax worm or piece of crawler on it  usually does the trick

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
flasher def helps and makes it feel like your playing a video game

Offline LouieM

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:57:32 AM »
thanks guys!

Offline bart

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
Get a flasher! 

May want to try the Hali Sukkula Jig, there are great with pan fish, I like the Glow Perch.
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young." -Theodore Roosevelt

Online DaveW

• HVS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Definitely get a flasher! Small tungsten jigs tipped with a mousie or spike and youíre in business.
Spud your way and stay on top.

Offline dale328

• dale328
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
 +1

Offline Hajecate

• The bASS man
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
In my opinion the flasher is outdated...... buy  a helix 5 ice package or lowrance 5 ice package. Both units have flasher mode if you prefer it over 2d sonar.  Iíve been running a lowarnce for 3 years and love it. Also has gps capabilities and lake mapping for depth contours. Both these units can be used all year round unlike the flasher. Just my opinion. Also the price difference isnít bad between the two. More for your money!
if it swims I can catch it.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
In my opinion the flasher is outdated...... buy  a helix 5 ice package or lowrance 5 ice package. Both units have flasher mode if you prefer it over 2d sonar.  Iíve been running a lowarnce for 3 years and love it. Also has gps capabilities and lake mapping for depth contours. Both these units can be used all year round unlike the flasher. Just my opinion. Also the price difference isnít bad between the two. More for your money!

thank you!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal