Author Topic: Ulster County Pistol Permits  (Read 4370 times)

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
Ulster County Pistol Permits
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:15:38 AM »
Just read on the USCO Facebook page that they are no longer issuing purchase coupons for pistol permits......they cited a decision from NY's 3rd circuit........I tried finding any info on this in a couple Google searches and I am seeing nothing......the post states that any handgun purchase have to now go in front of a review officer........I just want to say, how have we come this far in the NY? a review officer? this sounds like Red China........now we have to go in front of the Star Chamber every time we want to add a gun to our permit???........the post is very vague about what kind of timeframe we are looking at........if anyone has any more info please share.......I know every county is a little different so for non ulster residents ill just explain.......the way it used to be until 8 hours ago was that you would buy a handgun at your dealer, bring that info (serial number, make, model, etc) to pistol permits, they would put the gun on your permit and issue you a coupon, you could then bring that back to the dealer and pickup your gun.......essentially a same day transaction if you have the time and will power in one day.........apparently now when we bring the pistol info to pistol permits, they will be mailing us the coupon (at a later date with an unknown timeframe) before we can go back to the dealer to pick up our handgun..........just counting down my days until I can leave this hell hole of a state.......just a sad situation we have here.........
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline Geezer

Re: Ulster County Pistol Permits
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
I wonder how they define a 'review officer'. If I understand correctly, the buyer does not have to go before the officer, just the application for a coupon. Is that right? I hope the intent is to verify the purchase information and not to force a buyer to justify each new handgun.

Offline Elmer

• Legislative Liason
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
 NYSRPA, ULSTER FEDERATION, LOOKING INTO THE DETAILS AND FOR THE MOST OPTIMAL OUTCOME...

Essentially we had a luxury, that was taken away.

The Sheriff was able to do one stop on the spot amendments because one of our issuing authority judges (Judge Chris Cahill) was awesome and gave the sheriff approval to process reasonable amendments without the more tedious process of having each and every amendment go back to the judge who issues that person's permit originally...

Now... apparently because of some personal grudge in Orange county, the word has come down from higher ups that each and every amendment must be personally approved by the original issuing judge or a random assignment to current judges if original issuing judge is no longer serving...

We are working to find out how high up this goes and who is behind the order, and what to do to restore on the spot amendments, or whatever the next most favorable outcome is.

This is NOT Cahills fault, his hands are tied at this point...

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »
NYSRPA, ULSTER FEDERATION, LOOKING INTO THE DETAILS AND FOR THE MOST OPTIMAL OUTCOME...

Essentially we had a luxury, that was taken away.

The Sheriff was able to do one stop on the spot amendments because one of our issuing authority judges (Judge Chris Cahill) was awesome and gave the sheriff approval to process reasonable amendments without the more tedious process of having each and every amendment go back to the judge who issues that person's permit originally...

Now... apparently because of some personal grudge in Orange county, the word has come down from higher ups that each and every amendment must be personally approved by the original issuing judge or a random assignment to current judges if original issuing judge is no longer serving...

We are working to find out how high up this goes and who is behind the order, and what to do to restore on the spot amendments, or whatever the next most favorable outcome is.

This is NOT Cahills fault, his hands are tied at this point...

I am happy this is garnering attention from some pretty important organizations and i am certainly not blaming judge Cahill........i take your word on him as i do not know much about him........i would be willing to bet however that this is coming from a judge........a left wing kook dressed up to look like a judge but a judge non the less.......the ucso post even eluded to the NY 3rd circuit being involved........i believe they are out of Albany but i could be mistaken.........
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline Elmer

• Legislative Liason
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
3rd Jud Dist is Judge Breslin... We are working to find out if this is coming from Breslin or higher up, and if it is sanctioned by gun grabbing orgs or elected officials or what...

Breslin is a foe but it remains to be seen what if any alternative is possible...

It is very likely that the only "fix" to restore one stop amendments may require state level legislation...

Technically possible for this legislative session, but highly unlikely in the time left... And maybe not possible at all as it would require the Democratic Controlled Assembly and Governor to sign off...

Offline MUSKRAT

• HVS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
Just heard about this today .. I've purchased a handgun and wish to add it to my permit .
My dealer is saying that , it now is taking 4 to 6 weeks to get a coupon back from the ulster county pistol permit dept .

What's up with this ?

My dealer said that he is holding 20 handguns , waiting for coupons !

Who is responsible for this mess ...?  What can be done to fix this .?
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
    • blog.hudsonvalleysportsman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:06:23 AM »
We all need to make sure we read this stuff Elmer post and get involved if we can..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline LouieM

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 07:35:37 AM »
That is similar to Sullivan County but it didn't take 4-6 weeks to get the gun added to the permit.  The judge signed off on it 2-3 days later

Offline Fin-natic

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
Dutchess is 3 - 4 week wait so welcome to our world!

Offline MUSKRAT

• HVS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »
No reason for such a delay , I don't get it ...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline Elmer

• Legislative Liason
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
There will be a push in January to return the ability to process amendments to our sheriff...  (That is assuming that we keep the majority in the County Legislature after Tuesdays vote...  So right now the best thing to do is get out the vote...)

See the other post for info on how to help with that...  http://www.hudsonvalleysportsman.com/index.php/topic,19652.0.html

Offline pramagli

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
Just went to the Ulster County Sheriff's Permit Office this morning with my bill of sale for a new hand gun and was told that I needed to wait 2 to 3 weeks for the judge to sign off on the coupon so I could pick up the gun. This process is getting more and more complicated. Very disappointing to have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to pick up a gun that took me months to find and that I already paid for. 

Offline GrizG

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
As annoying as the process is now it is far better than what was going on in the 70s and 80s in Ulster County... Two to three years to get a permit was not uncommon and the permits were typically heavily restricted... and purchase coupons took time as they were processed through the court. The Federation's role in negotiating for and running the safety classes helped lube the process and move us away from "nearly impossible" to "wait with patience."

In the early-mid-70s the Sheriff had a pile of permit applications, that was 3-4 feet tall, sitting on his window sill aging. This as there was a bias against issuing permits. I personally saw the pile while there interviewing the Sheriff for a high school government class project... I recall that then Assemblyman Maurice Hinchey applied for his permit the same week as I back around 1981. It took him over a year longer to get his than it took to get mine... politics and personal relationships affected the wait.

With the move out of Family Court and into State Supreme Court things improved... "full carry" permits became the norm and the wait decreased significantly. 

Hopefully in January we can move a resolution in the Legislature that will change the process such that the Sheriff's office can once again process things like purchase coupons without having to run through the judges. I believe we gained support in the Legislature with Heidi Haynes's win and, though some folks may not believe it, there are other winners who will likely support such a move. One Legislator who surely would have voted against it lost reelection. We stand a good chance I think...

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline gdk45

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 07:55:37 AM »
I dropped off my paperwork April 2.  I'm still waiting, been 5+ weeks.  This is BS. 

Offline gdk45

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
I dropped off my paperwork April 2.  I'm still waiting, been 5+ weeks.  This is BS.

Picked up my paperwork, it took 6 weeks and 2 days before I got a call.  The judge dated her signature April 25, I got the call May 15.  So where is the paperwork sitting for 3 weeks?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal