Author Topic: Bowtech Carbon Knight Review  (Read 6641 times)

Offline bird dogg

Bowtech Carbon Knight Review
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
The phone has been ringing off the hook with people looking to see and shoot the "carbon Knight" from Bowtech.
We got one set up at 60 lbs and 29" drawlength the other day, and Timbow, myself and NDA (joe) all got a chance to demo it.
Its a mid line bow priced under 800$ Now you'll say to yourself, the Hoyt carbon bow is 1399$ bowtech really put it to hoyt with a bow almost half priced, right?.. well not exactly.
The Carbon Knight is carbon,  Poured carbon into a mold cast. its not tubular carbon like the hoyt where the pieces are individually made and bonded together.
The limbs are solid not multilayered "hardcore limbs" like the Insanity.
The cam is a binary cam with a rotating module to adjust the draw length, and very reminisant to similar bows like the destroyer from a couple years ago.
It is very light at 3.2 lbs. Even with all the accessories on it it is still very light to hold. It draws very smooth, and seems to have a decent valley. Let off is at 80%.
It has a 7 inch brace height, and is 31 inches axle to axle.
The Carbon Knight is rated 330 IBO. We shot it through a chronograph using a 300 grain arrow, and got a consistant 316...  If you take that you lose about 10fps for every inch under 30, whisker bisquit and D-loop, and the test bow was at 60lbs, I would say this puts you pretty much at or above rated speed.

Northern Dutchess Archery Pro staff, Gold tip, Dead Center Archery, Tru-Ball, Hoyt Shooting staff.

Offline bird dogg

Re: Bowtech Carbon Knight Review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
Its pretty fast, light, holds well on target. Its easy to shoot. Pretty quiet for a fast bow. Timbow was getting db ratings between 91 and 92. Carbon bow for around 800$ isn't to bad either.

dislikes.. finish is gritty feeling. feels like someone sprayed the riser with duraliner. The solid limbs should have been laminated. and even thought the bow draws smoothly, the Overdrive binary cam like the experience and Insanity might have been nice too, and the flex guard? instead of cable slide?
Im assuming that if bowtech made all the upgrades that they have on the higher end bow, you would probably have another bow around 1200$.
All in all Bowtech seems to have a pretty solid carbon bow at a price point that competes with aluminum riser bows. 
Northern Dutchess Archery Pro staff, Gold tip, Dead Center Archery, Tru-Ball, Hoyt Shooting staff.

Offline bird dogg

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
oops pic loaded sideways.

Offline Bush cruiser

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
Considering carbon knight. What arrows did you use to get 300 grains? Was it with 100 grain field point? Thank you very much!

Offline bird dogg

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:43:52 PM »
we have some fat boy arrows that weighs 300 on the dot. We use them for all of our speed comparisons. Most of the bows that we test are in the 28 inch draw length and 60 lbs.  its a 400 spine arrow, so we like to demo it on a 60 lb bow for safety. they have nibb points. im not in the shop as I write this but I can find out for you the point weight.
Speed is a tricky thing. we do these comparables on bows to see if the speed is accurate to specs.  Usually you have to take several things into concideration.
1. Most bows are demo'd at 70 lbs and thirty inch draw length, given that you would have to shoot an appropriately spined arrow 340 and the arrow should weigh 350 grains if you use the 5 grains per pound of pull, which is what most manufacturers stress as the minimum weight without damage to the bow.
2. You lose approximately 10 feet per second per inch of draw length under 30 inches, so for example if a manufacturer says 300 fps and you have a 28 inch draw lengh you should expect to be somewhere around 280. but there is more. You also lose 2-3 fps for a d loop, a peep, and couple feet for silencers and stuff. so that would drop you into the 270s if you have a 28 inch dl again.
3. Speed isnt everything.. I see guys who's end all be all is getting t0 300 grains, even in long draw lengths. I myself have tried to do this when I was first starting out. I wanted as much speed as possible.
SPEED COMES AT A PRICE sometimes. while short dl guys may find it easier to get to 300. long dl may not find it to be so easy. Next thing you are putting 65 grain points in to finally get the 350 IBO that whatever manufacturer says you could get.

Offline Bush cruiser

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:31:18 AM »
Thx bird dogg. Have 31 inch draw length. Want 60 lbs. speed checked 305 with victory hv 350 arrows. Looking for a bit more. Love toxic broad heads so I need 100 gr. maybe not possible? My arrow weight 335 now. Foc is high already. Opinion?

Offline bird dogg

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
31 inch draw at 60Lbs, what kind of bow? Shooting the toxic broadheads, the factory suggests that you should shoot a straight vane. You will get better results with them. sounds like you are about 7-8 grains heavier than my arrows and I have 30 inch draw, depending on the brand/type arrow, most weigh about 7-9 grains per inch, so that sounds about right. Heavier arrow gives more kinetic energy which is what you want for hunting too.
KE = 1/2 mv2

Offline chrijo31501

• Chrijo
  • Have a crappie day!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »
Does the whisker biscuit slow the arrow much? Is a drop rest faster?
Chrijo

Offline Timbow

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
Does the whisker biscuit slow the arrow much? Is a drop rest faster?
Yes it does. About 5fps.

* Your support appreciated

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal