Author Topic: Waterfowl Hunting  (Read 1291 times)

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
Waterfowl Hunting
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
Where can I go waterfowl hunting around Dutchess/Putnam County?  I dont want to know your honey holes but if you could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.  I know about tivoli but from what I have heard its jam packed, and as a new duck hunter I dont want to be dealing with hoards of people.  Where could I set up on a bank or flooded timber and see some action?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline bandhunter31

• Shoot Fast or Shoot Last
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
Re: Waterfowl Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »
im not familiar with dutchess/putnam......i mostly hunt ulster.......your best bet is the hudson river......unfortunately it gets expensive when you take into account you need a good boat, motor and a good amount of gear......i would suggest hooking up with someone who hunts the hudson and seeing if they could take you out a few times to get a feel for it.....tends to be a little more dangerous than hunting a swamp......not something i would recommend to do alone as a new duck hunter.......i actually just recently purchased some land to duck hunt on.....always looking for new people to hunt with.......pm me when the season gets closer........
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
Will do.  Thanks for the help.  I live in dutchess.  Just got a gsp id like to take with me as well.  Im not ready for the hudson lol.  Stewart state forest has a nice flooded area/ pond.   I just dont know how crowded it gets.  Thanks again

Offline Lonegoose

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Scouting is the key. I spend a ton of money on gas every year to find birds. If you put in your time you will find your own honey holes. If not, most likely you will be stuck hunting with the general public and deal with knuckleheads and all the drama that goes with it. Scout! scout! scout! It will pay off.
In my blind if anyone needs me

Offline Tom L

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
Stewart has a lot of places but there are usually alot of people also. But remember .most people are lazy, get away from the road and walk a bit and you can sometimes find great places.  I have found that it gets shot up quick though.  Look at the DEC web site for places near you.  I have a buddy who hunts opening week on some public land near you and he always does well,  I think its called the great swamp.  But no matter what public land u hunt there always seems to be issues.  Lone goose hit the nail on the head, scout.  Google earth is great to find swamps then shake hands and make friends.  It seems harder and harder to get access to good hunting land but it is still possible.

Tom

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
yeah.   i know about the great swamp.  i just need to do the scouting to find the right spots.  thanks for te heads up guys

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
maybe this is a better question..... when i am scouting, what should i be looking for?  obv water, but what else? 

Offline bandhunter31

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 12:55:34 AM »
i look for birds pitching in.......even if you have an area that you know birds are in, you still want to be in the sweet spot......watch and see where the ducks "tend" to want to be and set up there within the next few days.....do not wait to long because shifting water levels, food availablity, weather patterns and hunting pressure push birds around a lot.......get yourself a pair of binoculars and go scout some swamps - it will pay off...... i have been hunting for 10 years - i scout every chance i get - i even scout when im not scouting - tends to piss the wife off a bit lol.......and it has culminated into me buying swamp land where i know the ducks are every year......
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
bandhunter-  im in the same boat as you with the wife. hahahahah.  thats how i am with deer hunting.  im crazy for it.   but now that i have finally moved up here and have a versatile dog i want to expand my hunting.  heres my dilemma... what if i find the right spot. and set up a man made blind.  whos to say that some other guys wont come in and use it.  or if on opening day i go to my spot and there are guys next to me?  im sure that is a legitimate concern for guys on public land right?

Offline Tom L

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
bandhunter-  im in the same boat as you with the wife. hahahahah.  thats how i am with deer hunting.  im crazy for it.   but now that i have finally moved up here and have a versatile dog i want to expand my hunting.  heres my dilemma... what if i find the right spot. and set up a man made blind.  whos to say that some other guys wont come in and use it.  or if on opening day i go to my spot and there are guys next to me?  im sure that is a legitimate concern for guys on public land right?

That is without a doubt a legitimate concern.  A few yrs ago I was hunting a local swamp near me.  The farmer who owns it lets anyone who ask hunt it.  The last few yrs seems like more and more guys are there.  I went there WAY early on opening morning and set up.  There where only two other groups there and I thought I was golden until 10 min before leagle a large group shows up and sets up 20yrds from me.  The only shot they have is right at me.  When I told them that there response was well I guess you might want to move out of our way.

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
wow.  that sucks.   i have been spoiled since i deer hunt on private property.  the main reason i don't hunt public land is because you have to deal with the idiots.  some people are very inconsiderate and actually dont care......   i  actually took i hike over at tivoli today with my son and dog.  looks like you would need a boat to navigate around...at least where i was.  so i guess thats out of the question.  I'm going to check out great swamp a little more.   i have pheasant hunted there but not duck. 

Offline bandhunter31

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 01:02:27 AM »
i have heard some horror stories like Tom L just described....... people can be ooooooos about that stuff......i noticed on public land if you get there early and are the first to set up your usually ok......when my group of hunting buddies first started duck hunting we had no where to go but public land......we started at tivoli and had 3-4 good years there before we expanded to private land and the river.......we have a blind built in tivoli if you ever want to use it......you will need a boat but honestly a small 12 footer with a trolling motor or a canoe/kayak is all you need to get there......we all still try and go there 1 time a year...... didnt get there last year but as of 2 years ago the blind was in great shape - will need to brush it though if anyone is gonna do some serious gunning out of it........im sure over the years people have used our blind but thats just the reality of public land.......also the good thing with tivoli (especially this year) is that after opening day of rifle its quiet in there......this year the 2nd split starts the day after deer......there are times you will have the whole bay to yourself........if you go the first split its rough......guys everywhere and its like vietnam once shooting time begins.......hope that helps......

Online Diplomat019

• HVS Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »
bandhunter.   thanks for the info.  id def be interested in checking out the blind if you dont use it.  im in hyde park (25 min or so from tivoli).  i would need to figure out the boat situation first tho.    regardless i got a pool raft and my sons floaties.  i can rig something up lol  .yesterday i drove down the gravel road off off kidd rd.  i seen some people with kayaks and stuff.  is that where you launch or is there somewhere else?   and once again.  i dont need your secrets and if you dont feel like telling im totally cool with that.  like i said earlier i just want to pick up some tips from seasoned duck hunters. 

Offline bart

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
Years ago we hunted the Tivoli Bays Wildlife Management Area?, we called it the Tivoli Swamp. Don't have any other info, I was fairly young then...
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young." -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rob 43

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
if you dont mind coming accross the river i got some good spots on the wallkill river. always looking for more guys to go. i have a great dog for it.
take a child hunting and fishing so they to can enjoy the outdoors.make every moment last.....

* Your support appreciated

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal